Sunday, January 11, 2015

Roman Holiday, part 2

Ciao,

After thoroughly exploring the Colosseum and taking pictures at nearly every angle possible, I went on to the Roman Forum.  Unfortunately due to the strike, the Forum was closed until 2pm.  I had about an hour to wait so I walked back to the Arch of Constantine, which is between the Colosseum and the Forum and snapped this quick picture:

It's 21 meters high, or 68 feet!
The Arch of Constantine was built around 315 AD to honor the victory of Constantine I (a very important Roman emperor) at the Battle of Milvian Bridge.  It was actually modeled after the Arch of Septimus Severus (another Roman emperor) in the Forum but this arch is special as it is the only one that extensively uses spolia, which is Latin for "spoils" and refers to the practice of re-using building material or decorative sculpture from old buildings on new monuments.  The arch features several major reliefs from monuments built during the 2nd century AD and is thus very visually interesting because it is full of intricate details.

After walking around the arch a few times, I found a nice spot outside one of the entrances to the forum to eat lunch.  I had been carrying around a panino with me all morning, which I had bought at the gluten-free panini shop the day before, so I decided that as it was quite sunny, I should go ahead and eat it.

I still had time after I finished, so I wandered up the Palatine Hill to see what I could find.  At the end of the path I found this tiny church:


Turns out this is the church of San Bonaventura, which I believe was built during the 1600s. Unfortunately there is neither much information on the signs nor on the internet, so I can't share anything more about it, other than that it was a nice surprise to find it at the end of my walk.

After walking back I STILL had to wait a few more minutes for the Forum to open so I sat down and people-watched.  By now there was a pretty large crowd waiting to enter, so when they did open the gates, I waited a bit longer for everyone to go in first so that I wouldn't feel rushed.

The Roman Forum is located in a valley between two very important hills, the Palatine Hill and the Capitoline Hill and was the center of Roman public life for centuries and elections, speeches, triumphal processions, trials, and sales took place there.  The site remained important from the founding of Rome to the Middle Ages.  That's all I will say for now; I want you to be able to simply enjoy the beauty of the site as I did when I was there without getting caught up in long and detailed (but fascinating!) history.  I plan to return to Rome and do a more in-depth post at a later time.  Of course, if you have any questions just ask and I'll will happily respond. :)

Entering the Forum



The view as I started to climb up the Palatine Hill

A bathtub?  In case you just felt like taking a bath in the middle of the garden.  I was quite confused by this, honestly.
 It was around 3:45 by the time I wandered up to the top.  The sun was strong, as it always is at that moment right before it begins to set, and bathing the ruins in its light.  Excuse me for waxing poetic but it was so beautiful!



Rome, the Eternal City
Of course I managed to find a cat, too! :)

After my adventures at the Forum, I scurried back to my hostel before the sunset so I wouldn't be out alone in an unknown city in the dark.  I really enjoyed my solo adventure in the ancient ruins, which surprised me since I usually prefer to have company while out and about.  But, it was very nice to have time to be contemplative and fully enjoy the fact that I was finally getting to see the sites which I had dreamed of seeing since my first Latin class in high school.

Onwards,then, to Greece!



P.S. If anyone ever needs a hostel in Rome, I would highly recommenced the Beehive Hostel.  It was very clean, safe, and about as quiet as a hostel can be and the staff was very friendly.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Isabella! This is Maddie, from middle school. You are so lucky that you get to visit all these beautiful places & study about their history. I actually did a book report on the 12 Caesars! Please post more pics of food! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Leave me a note!
(remember to sign your name)